Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Pita-Nator


So I've always known that I have a problem - I love to shop. I thought at first that the shopping here would be like souvenier shopping and would eventually not appeal as much as it did at first, but I think I was wrong! We went shopping today and it was a lot of fun, I got some SWEET genie pants and some custom made t-shirts, my most favorite one is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle one - Hebrew style. I also got a Coca-Cola one, and one that says Peace, It's a Beautiful thing (That's probably my favorite one). I also bought a sweet ring for one of the shopowners who is pretty well known at the center. He was training his nephew from New Zealand on how to sell and that sort of stuff, and my roommates and I were his first customers! It was a lot of fun to just spend some time doing "normal" things here. I think tomorrow a bunch of people are going to see a movie, that'll be fun too cause it's also just normal.
The most exciting thing that happened today, howeer, was the pita eating competition I was involved in! Several of the students here like to give me a hard time because I like to eat a LOT of pitas...at all meals, everyday. Yeah it's pretty bad, the weight that I'm gaining definitely comes from toasted pitas filled with peanut butter and honey. I may actually have to talk to the District President because I'd definitely consider it an addiction - ha just kiddin. But anyway, when I was talking with Bryan, Miriam and Shelby about it at lunch today we decided we should have a pita eating contest! We talked with the cook about it to see if they'd have enough pitas for everyone, and he said he'd have us backed up if that's what we wanted to do - so we decided to do it! Before hand Miriam and I properly prepared by getting our war gear on. We entered to a screaming crowd and the song "Eye of the Tiger" playing (ok so the screaming crowd part may be made up but the song definitely wasn't). At first we decided to have a 20 minute time limit, but the braces and spikes were really slowing me down, and I was confident I could out eat them, so we said no time limit and just decided to see who could eat the most period. It got pretty intense, and I'm not gonna lie, there was talk of throwing up as a group afterwards. (That'd be quite the waste of pita if you ask me). One thing we didn't really take in to consideration when we planned the pita competition, however, was the fact that we have visitors staying in the JC right now, and so graciously on behalf of them, Sister Allen asked us if we could stop the contest while we still could. It was probably a good idea anyway, although while my competitors were slowly dying out, I'm pretty sure I could have kept going and taken them all. The final scores were Miriam - 10, Richelle - 11, Bryan - 14, Shelby - 15. I may not be the fastest, and I think that's why I was a little behind but I definitely have the best endurance (thanks mom!) Even the guys said that they had bet on me - I guess the world will never know who could have really won.

3 comments:

  1. 11 pitas! I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to tell you I'm proud of you, or shame on you! Anyway I like your competitive spirit and better luck next time.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you could of won. Everyone says so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of your endurance with eating and with a little practice you can translate it into endurance with running too! Mom

    ReplyDelete