Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shabbat


Today was a really neat day, I guess Shabbat always is here, although I think it may have more to do with my attitude towards things than how it actually is. I really feel like the church is the same all around the world, and I'm really grateful for this new perspective that I've gained!
Besides having just a "normal" fast Sunday, we were really lucky to have the Presiding Bishop of the church come speak to us in a fireside tonight. We were able to sing I Need Thee Every Hour as a choir, and then afterward we heard both from Sister and Bishop Burton. He gave a baseball analogy having to do with Ted Williams and his incredible baseball skills. Apparently the reason Ted was so incredible is because he had amazing eye sight, which caused him to have a batting average of 400, which hasn't been had since. Ted could see which direction the ball was spinning or moving before it got to him, but only for a split second. Bishop Burton likened this to life, and being able to have a slight advantage over others as Latter Day Saints, in that we have the spirit to help us see just that little bit better. It was a really neat fireside, and a great way to end the night. "Sunday" meetings are really great here, I find myself being spiritually fed at every moment.
Tonight my roommates and I busted out this weird fruit thing we tried first in Jericho, called a pumemelo - it's kind of like a mix between a lemon and a grapefruit! It was fun to cut it open and share it, there's lots of neat fruits here which I love cause...well I love fruit. That sounded pretty bad - and maybe it's cause I'm so tired! I think I should head out - oh, and p.s. the last pic is me talking to all of you! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I don't remember that phone call? Wow, first you wear your STL Cardinals ball cap to the top of Mt. Sinai, now this beautiful analogy of being able to hit a baseball. I'm really happy that you are gaining and appreciation and education of the important things life!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete