Sunday, January 18, 2009

En Kerem

So today was incredible. The center gave us an entire day off to go see whatever we felt like, and they’re really pretty trusting so we get to explore and go as far as our shekels will take us. I usually don’t plan to go in the groups I end up with, and today I wanted to spend a good amount of time studying, but after hearing everyone’s plans I just couldn’t resist going out myself. One of the bigger groups of students decided to leave at 7:30, right after breakfast, and head out to the Haddasah Hospital, a Medical school where there were some beautiful stained glass windows, called the Chagall Windows, each representing one of the tribes of Israel. And then we started down to En Kerem (or something like that…) which is the supposed place of John the Baptist’s birth. We actually got lost a few times on the way down, but it was all good cause a nice local guy helped us find our way. When we finally got there, I was surprise, while the church itself wasn’t really large like many of the others, it was located in the most quaint town I’ve ever visited. The streets were so beautiful, cobblestone roads lined with little cottage style homes, flower pots lining the window seals and freshly washed laundry hanging from the balconies. You think I’m exaggerating but I’m not, I told everyone that from now on when I was having a bad day, those streets would be my “happy place”. After we visited there we were supposed to go up to the Church of All Nations, but my group got a little lost because we were at the tail end (my roommate and I usually are because we’re in the back taking pictures of everything we see), and we got stuck back in an ultra orthodox Jewish convent. It was extremely beautiful as well, and we were the only ones there so it was like visiting a ghost town. When we found out we were supposed to be there, however, we got a little panicky until the Monk managing things just told us to jump the fence. It was so funny! By that time it was a little too late to see the Church of All Nations, so we just decided to stop by a local gelato shop…best decision of the day! The gelato was amazing! I thought it was cookie dough flavored…but it had some kind of chocolate candy bar thing in it, and it was to DIE for. Ok I’m not gonna lie…I had two of ‘em. After that we were all pretty exhausted so we called a taxi and headed home! The evening was pretty chill, we just studied a lot and ate dinner, followed by more studying and then ultimate classic…the Prince of Egypt! The people here are just so amazing and everyday I spend with them I have more fun and love it even more! I’m so lucky and grateful to be here, and I know the Lord has hand picked every person here for a reason. Thanks for all the love and support!

4 comments:

  1. I MISS YOU!!! it sounds like you're having so much fun!! i love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are getting along with all the people and seeing such amazing things. You have to show me pictures of the little town. You are having the experience of a lifetime!!! Of course I wish I could be there too! By the way Stockton likes the pictures jumping the fence! He said "look at Richelle on the fence, ahhhhhhh!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Richelle,
    I've tried to send you a couple of comments before and failed. I'll try again! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it worked!! So now I can tell you what a neat thing you're doing with this blog. It's great! I'm so glad you get to have this amazing experience. The only negative thing is that I'm just a tad jealous. :( Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete