Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Old City




So today we were allowed out in to East Jerusalem and the Old City for the first time since our orientation. As an extra precaution we were to have five people in each group, and no one was supposed to be back after sunset - no one seemed to mind the extra restrictions because they were so excited to finally be able to go explore! My group decided to exchange our money for shekels at the very end so we weren't too tempted to shop - and we went exploring first! The Old City is beautiful in a very different way than most people would use the word, but I just love everything about it. The people are so interesting it's hard not to stop and just watch! One historical site we visited in between shopping was the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. I got some pretty amazing pictures inside, that's what one of the posts is. As we were nearing the end of shopping, it started to rain - and not just a little bit, as Aladdin the money changer said "raining not only cats...but dogs too!" (That's what the one picture is of - don't look too closely I LOOK like one of the wet dogs!! HAHA) There are may nice shopkeepers here who cater to the BYU students, and give them fair deals so it's fun to talk to them. The money changer even has a whole wall dedicated for BYU students to leave notes when they leave for future groups. It's funny how they really can tell we're from BYU, I'm sure it's our clothes and skin color, but I like to think it may be in small part due to the light President Faust says is found in many of the students eyes. Well anyway! I guess that's it for today. We have a dinner tonight and then opening of the snack bar party - and as for me...I gotta hit the books! Oh and p.s. MIKE! The fire engine picture is for you!

3 comments:

  1. Just as I pictured it for you; Yea!!! Thanks for the running dialog. What a blessing to be able to communicate so easily. Good Sabbath. . .GrMa Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us so up to date on all your adventures and of course I like all the pictures! So maybe I should know but is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher where they believe Jesus was buried. The picture is really beautiful! Keep studying hard. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richelle! I am so happy you have a blog now! I miss you like crazy! i am glad you are having a good time though! Love you!

    ReplyDelete