Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Garden Tomb





So I didn’t have time to blog yesterday cause I was out having too much fun! HA! I don’t feel bad at all. We had classes in the morning and then almost the entire day off so that we could get ready to go to Egypt. I was going to do some homework but…I mean how much fun is that? And Moon had left her wallet in West Jerusalem the day before so we used that as an excuse to go play a little. We decided to go to the open market and get some dried fruit and candy and things for the Egypt trip because the food there is…well…sketchy at best. The entire city was REALLY busy because everyone was getting ready to party on Shabbat, and so it was hard to even walk through all the people, but it made things a little more interesting. After picking up some supplies and then making our way back though rapping Jewish men and awesome shopping-cart-riding-singing men…we called a taxi and came back to the center.
After dinner (which I randomly fell asleep for an hour before), I started some laundry (and may or may not have accidently flooded the room…woops…) and then went to play some games with kids from the center. Let me just say that Sardines on the Jerusalem Center grounds is way cooler than Sardines back home. About half way through the first game, I remembered my laundry and rushed down to pull it out. Only problem was they had locked the door an hour early! Anyway this is getting way too detailed, I”ll give you the summary: me, laundry room, my ipod and dancing. That’s basically how it went down – and no, I don’t know how to dance but I thought it would be cool to try, and I was alone anyway so it doesn’t really matter right? Then I spent the rest of the night running around the Center discovering some pretty cool secrets about the building, and chatting with good friends. (If you’re a JCite…no…I can’t tell you anymore secrets, it’s against the rules. Anyone else feel free to ask!)
Today we had Church which was every bit as amazing as it always is. We got to perform I Need Thee Every Hour in sacrament meeting, and the spirit was very strong. Afterwards we all set out for the Garden Tomb, another place people believe the tomb of Christ could have been located. What I appreciated about this place as opposed to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher was that it was outside, and actually felt like it could have been the place Christ was buried. We had a guide tell us about the different parts of the Garden and Tomb area – an American Baptist preacher who had a lot of personality and flair – it was really neat to learn about everything and the evidence they have to support this place. The guide kept emphasizing, however, that it doesn’t really matter if we know the exact location of the events that transpired there or near by, what is more important is that it happened and that we have faith in how it can change our life. I realized that is how a lot of things are in this life: instead of worrying about all the little details that have only to do with mortality, we should instead worry about eternal implications of the actions of others and of ourselves. Anyway, that was a super neat experience which we ended in singing He is Risen, Christ the Lord is Risen, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, and How Great Thou Art. There were some Nigerian folks taking tours through the garden as well, and on How Great Thou Art they joined in singing, it was amazing to feel the fellowship we had with these brothers and sisters in the gospel. I’m so grateful for all these experiences!
Well I guess that’s it for now! My computer isn’t going with me to Egypt so I guess I’ll just have to keep an amazing journal and fill you guys in when I get back! Look forward to an EXTRA long blog then!!! Love you all

8 comments:

  1. If I recall it correctly, Pres Kimball was supposed to have stated that the outside tomb was the actual burial place of Jesus; but you're right, no big matter when we consider that He indeed is risen and sacrificed that we may all live after this life and with Him if we so choose and continue to choose with righteous actions worthy of exaltation!!! I know this to be true and am so grateful for the testimony you are acquiring. . . Forever, Your GrMa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You are having some amazing experiences. These experiences will bless you for the rest of your life. Soak in the Spirit of every place you visit! Oh, how is the dirt collection going? Are you already over the weight limit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't flood the laundry room at home. Sounds neat to see the Garden tomb. I am glad you are having such great experiences that will strengthen your testimony of Christ and what is important and what we can attain in this life! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of everything you are getting to see and do. If you could take the tests and projects out of the equation, I would come right now, oh yeah and my beautiful children, I can't forget them. I think it is so cool that you get to be a part of the disability community in a completely different country. It is amazing that no matter where you are, there will always be others that are just like my little O. I love to see all the pictures, you have such talent. Anyways, my family and I are thinking of you always. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MISS YOU!!! COME HOME AND HAVE FUN WITH ME!!! i'm so glad you're having all these great experiences tho, you'll never forget them. and that is pretty funny about the laundry room btw. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're learning lots and having a great time along the way. Keep up the great work on the blog. I love reading about what you are doing!
    Love
    Auntie RaNel

    ReplyDelete
  7. te amo amor. eu espero que voce esta marivilhosa!! eu estou muito feliz que voce esta tendo essas experiencias e que voce esta crescendo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sardines in the JC? AWESOME. I am amazed at the freedom and flexibility they give you to do these types of things. I wish I knew some of the JC secrets--sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete